|4seasonswildlife removal 01-29-2016|
8 Basic Facts About The Playful And Nut Loving Squirrels
* Squirrels sizes ranges vary from the smallest size of 7-10 cm and to the largest 53 to 70 cm.
* They have slender bodies, long furry tail, brownish to yellowish fur and black stripes that run from head to lower spine area.
* Gestation period varies depending on species. Alpine marmot has 33-34 days, Siberian chipmunk has 33-34 days and eastern gray squirrel 44 days. Squirrels typically bore 1 to 2 litters a year.
* Their lifespan varies on species such as alpine marmot 15 to 18 age and Siberian chipmunk 6-10 years
As Wildlife nuisance
* Squirrels such as Eastern gray squirrels may live close to human residential areas and will often rummage through uncovered waste bins, hoard food droppings and nuts from bird feeders. Because of this behavior, squirrels can find themselves living in the attic, air vent, air duct, chimneys and hidden spaces. Just like rats, squirrels gnawing behavior can damage furniture and cause electrical fires from short circuits.
* To keep squirrels from wandering into your house is by sealing entry points such as doors, drainage, and the attic window. Use sounds such as from music or radio to drive out squirrels from nesting in your home.
* Use fox pee to fool squirrels into thinking that recently a fox has entered the area.
* Use food triggered traps to all squirrels to enter inside but not outside
Fun facts about squirrels
* Squirrels can hide and hoard food. The gray and fox squirrel can hoard lots of food and store them in top soil and secret food locations inside the house.
* Squirrels can take out food buried during winter and may fool their kind and birds into believing that they buried it there. In reality, they just transfer the food into another place. This practice eliminates the problem of guarding food storage against thieves from their kind - rats and small predators.
* Squirrels use tactics to fend off rattlesnake attack by flooding their tail with blood to use it as a warning beacon to deter the infrared sensitive snake. Second, they will chew snakeskin and scent their coat with the snake smell to fool snakes into believing that some larger snakes are hidden in squirrels burrow.
* Squirrels can navigate through obstacles and find the shortest route to food.
* There was a special bridge for squirrels in Longview, Washington to let squirrels cross the street without being overrun. The city is the most Squirrel lover place in the US. Indeed, they held an annual squirrel festival.