|4seasonswildlife removal 01-15-2016|
Rats: As Pests and and Pets
black rat eating seeds and brown rat in flower box
* The most common rodent known, they can squeeze even in narrowest crevices, holes, wall, furniture, sewers and roofings. Present in wild and urban areas, they can multiply easily and produce 10-12 litters.
* Rat's scientific name varies according to species such as the brown rat which has the name of (Rattus norvegicus) and black rat (rattus rattus). They belong to subfamily murinae which has 519 species and most are small placental mammals.
* Rat testicle size to body ratio is incredibly huge compared to gorillas that have small testicles to body ratio.
*Brown and black rats that can be both invasive and pests differ in physical appearance.
Comparison between black and brown rat
Black rats have longer tail compared to the rest of body, slender body shape, big ears and eyes, pointed snout. On the other hand, brown rats have shorter tail, sturdy body, small ears and eyes and slanted snout.
* Gestation period is 22 days and may vary from 21 to 26 days. Since they have no breeding season, they can easily multiply in areas which is neither too cold and warm or just the right temperature.
* They have good sense of smell and can detect pheromones from other rats. Their secondary smell organ is vomeronasal organ or VNO which is just in rat's lower nasal passage area.
Many rats are not pests such as the fancy mouse that can be pets and kept by individuals or mouse club associations. Fancy mouse does not engage in gnawing nor transmit diseases as pest rats do. They have white, black, or combination of both colors.
black rat, roof rat, or common house rat
Since rats are voracious eaters and eat almost edible food, they became a nuisance and household pests. Their gnawing behaviour such as chewing cable wires, furniture and plastic with their sharp teeth often results in property damage or fire. Rats can contaminate food by destroying packaging and raiding on dry food such as bread loaves. They are also known to chew on plastic container just to reach the food inside. On top of that, pest rats are best known to transmit diseases such as leptospirosis, bubonic plague which killed many medieval Europeans, rat bite fever, hanta virus pulmonary syndrome, salmonellosis and lassa fever.
Food triggered Cage Trap
Since rats breed easily and numerously they are hard to control and even poisoning several individuals, there will be always a recurring rat that can replace a dead one. Using commercial poison such as warfarin, brodifacoum, coumatetralyl are effective in killing rats but can present a problem of horrible smells coming from clandestine dead rat bodies. You can also use food triggered cage traps which uses bait system to activate and shut the cage door. Another is by removing food source by not throwing food residues and leftovers in sinks and drainage since they will serve as food for rats lurking in sewers. Plus, use chicken wire to cover drainage holes and sewer entrances to prevent rats from entering.
For best results and humane way of pest control, contact a reliable and quality wild life removal service. They have tools, and training to handle rat infestation and humane methods of eliminating rats. Pest control contractors can also help reduce rat population and prevent recurring rat infestations.
Do you have problems with pigeon droppings in your attic or roosting and recently turned your roof shingles into a mural of pigeon poos? Or wonder why your waste bins are always upside down? We are here to solve your problems. At Four season’s wildlife service, we have tools, professional team and years of experiences to deal with any types of wild animals. Learn more about us when you visit our site at http://www.fourseasonswildliferemoval.comhttp://www.fourseasonswildliferemoval.com